Thursday, January 6, 2011

Out with the old in with the new....Java that is.


From time to time I like to give my computer systems a "checkup" During this checkup I review what processes are running, what programs are starting up via the registry and what software is installed. Fortunately nothing malicious comes up and all my systems are given a clean bill of health. One thing I did notice was that in the add/remove programs menu I had several different versions of Java installed on my system. These versions would range from old to the most current version, and they were all pretty big in size.
I decided to take a chance after some thought and deleted all the old versions of Java only leaving the current version installed on my system. I had no clue if this would cause any problems but after some testing I've found that it didn't have a negative impact on my system. What I didn't know at the time was that having all of those outdated versions was actually more harmful then what I did.
According to article written by Michael Cobb, I found out that having outdated versions of Java can actually create a vulnerability on your system. The article goes on to state that "malicious websites could possibly invoke these outdated versions of the software still present on a user's machine, even if the latest, patched version has been installed and set as the authoritative version to be used by both the user's default Web browser and the operating system." You can view the article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment